Friday, June 19, 2009

Screw-jobs for June 16th 2009


I bet the Atlanta Braves against the Cincinnati Reds


Left-hander Daniel Ray Herrera (CIN pitcher) got his first major league victory.

The Braves had 12 hits but stranded five runners in scoring position. They loaded the bases with one out in the sixth and failed to score.

I bet the Detroit Tigers against the St. Louis Cardinals

Albert Pujols (STL hitter) lined his 23rd homer an estimated 446 feet over the left field wall off Ryan Perry to start the sixth. Chris Duncan followed with a 418-foot shot that gave the light-hitting Cardinals back-to-back homers for the first time all season.

Justin Verlander (DET starting pitcher) had been 7-0 with a 1.10 ERA over nine starts before running into trouble against a team that had scored three or fewer runs in 10 of its previous 15 games.

It was 80 degrees at game time, not at all oppressive in a city known for its brutal summers, but Verlander said the humidity sapped him.

"I think after the first inning, I was just gassed," Verlander said. "I couldn't get my legs underneath me. It was a weird feeling."

Verlander gave up five runs and eight hits for his first loss since April 17 at Seattle.

Verlander's first balk of the season forced in a run and Joe Thurston added an RBI double.


No comments:

Post a Comment